Sunday, August 28, 2011

THOUGHTS ON IRENE

I won't lie. I don't read the news and I don't watch the weather channel and frankly the closest I come to current news is reading the trending topics on twitter.

So imagine my surprise when two days ago my fajah and family are all sorts of freaked out about this chick named Irene coming to New York. They were all like "Oh no! Are you ready for Irene??" And I was all like "Yo.. I don't even know anyone named Irene!" But then after seeing the frantic mobs at the grocery store and the sudden demand for batteries and candles I realized there was a storm coming.

Plus it was a trending topic on twitter.

I looked into it and it turns out that the general consensus on Irene is that she's a bad ass mother fucker who ain't looking to take no prisoners.

So I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of soups and ramen and various non perishables. Then I bought a couple buckets, a fistful of candles and as much redbull as I could carry. Decided that instead of hauling a few heavy cases of water up my stairs with a recovering, but still gimpy, ankle that instead I'd fill up the many empty wine bottles that have been cluttering my counter top.

(I figure with that ingenious recycling and the avoidance of plastic bottles should gain me some points with mother nature.)

So I packed my fridge full of water (wine bottles, brita containers, various tupperwear... you name it, I've filled it with water!) And put aside bathroom water and dishes water and strategically placed my candles and lighters all over the house.

Pretty much I went GI Joe on my house and went into survival crazy girl mode. I spent all night getting ready. I double taped my windows and got all my shit in order.

And then I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And the whole day went by without anything happening. I went for a walk because I was so bored. It wasn't even raining! Since my deli was still open I went and got lunch and gossiped with the neighborhood hoodlums before heading home to dwell in my boredom. It finally started raining but it's not even that bad and it's not windy at all.

I'm going to be super pissed if I got all survivalist bitch for nothing.

Anyways, I'm hoping the storm picks up tomorrow so that I at least feel justified in my preparation and boredom rather than just annoyed. Fingers crossed this storm doesn't do too much damage but double fingers crossed that it starts being more interesting.

Because right now Irene just sucks a big bag of dicks for being such a teasing bitch.

I'm told the power grid is being shut down in the morning, which will suck for technology-using and cable-watching purposes but I'm not worried. I have books to read, paintings to finish and all of my vibrators are battery powered so I know I'll still be having fun sans electricity. (Don't worry I stocked up on batteries)

If the power's still on I'll probably update y'all tomorrow but if not... talk to you after the hurricane!
Be safe and happy.
xxKK

No comments:

Post a Comment