Friday, June 3, 2011

WARNING: DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS

So you all know MugWug under one fairly generic title: Best Friend.

Well he's about to get a new one... "Roommate"

Yeah... he moved in with me...

Now before anyone jumps to any conclusions, no, it's nothing past roommates. He sleeps in a nook in the living room and I lock my door every night. (Out of habit not because I'm worried he's going to break in and read my diary or anything scandalous)
He's only planning on staying a month or so and I do love hosting people. I am such a Mama Kat sometimes.

But here's the catch: despite loving to host and my inexplicable (and apparently unconditional) love for the kid, I DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.

As in I like my space and routine and order.

Rearranging the living room to make room for his nook was emotionally scarring for me since I don't like change.

Here's an example of how neurotic I am about change... I will refuse to walk down a street, even if the sign says walk and that's the fastest route, if it isn't one of the two streets I use to get to the subway. And there are certain streets I'll only walk west on. And I always catch the subway car that stops in front of the broken telephone at 49th Street. And I arrange my couch cushions, not in an aestically pleasing pattern or format, but by color. I don't like trying new food. I will literally be reduced to tears of frustration if faced with a menu that doesn't contain something that I know I like.

I'm not very good at decisions so it's easier for me to just cut out the options.

Well... that being said... he moved in and now everything has changed.

He switches the shower from handheld to stationary every time he uses it (I'm short and the hand held is lower and has better water pressure) He uses an electric toothbrush which means there's this machine contraption on the sink, which is so not the neat empty way I like my sink. AND he refuses to hang his towel on the hook on the door, choosing instead to drape it over the shower, which doesn't even make logical sense since it dries quicker on the hook and it means I don't have to move it every time I want to shower.

AND THAT'S JUST THE BATHROOM.

Needless to say I have a lot to get used to and it's very jarring.

Tomorrow we're putting up a curtain around his nook so that at least the change and mess and differences from my real life and now can be contained and somewhat hidden.

I have to admit that sometimes it's nice to have him around. Tonight we had a nice little roommate moment in the kitchen. We made snacks and talked.

I feel like he and I stopped really talking to each other a long time ago so maybe this move is what our friendship needs to continue past college.

That, or it'll completely destroy it.

Meanwhile I'm going to use all this awkward nervous energy I have from having my schedule/routine change so drastically towards getting up early and hitting the gym every morning. Hopefully my legs won't fall off before I run out the uncomfortable feelings.

Regardless I'm going to need a few drugs to get through the next month.

I'm sleepy and have work to do so I'll sign off but I still have to update y'all on PBA and Ninja so don't let me forget. And hey, look at that, two posts in two nights. Maybe there's hope for this blog after all.

xxKK

No comments:

Post a Comment