Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A TERRIFICALLY TUNA TUESDAY

In my ongoing attempt to become a skinnier, prettier, more talented and, all around, better version of myself I have taken back up working out and eating healthier.

I think my first post about this particular topic was way back in 2010 and clearly the situation hasn't gotten better. But, while I accept responsibility for being lazy, I feel like I have some valid excuses in there too. I had two back to back stressful jobs with long hours. I have a certain social reputation to hold up that doesn't really allow for full nights of sleep or a diet without a certain allocation for vodka calories. And I get bored really easily. Plus I swear I have some ADD shit going on because I cannot focus on one thing to save my life.

My brain is a goddamn labyrinth of booze, boys, bad decisions and mathematical equations.

Also, in my defense, I never really ate badly. I just didn't think about what I was eating. There was no consideration for when I ate or whether I ate carbs or protein before the gym. Ooh and I have a serious sweet tooth.

Well I've been home for a few weeks now and I kept putting off working out or getting my ass in gear about anything. Marie, who over the last year has gone from normal human to health fiend with super human workout skillz kicked me in the pants and told me I should just fucking do it.

So I've been running and eating more salads and drinking less coffee and I now order my vodka with soda water instead of sprite.

I still can't fucking sleep though.

Anyways I made a yummy protein packed dinner tonight and I figured I'd share... even though it doesn't really fit with the normal theme of this blog.

Anywhoo.

After running three miles I made a simple, quick dinner for my and my pops out of shit in my fridge and pantry.

-Whole Wheat Rigatoni (1/2 cup dry per serving instead of 3/4 cups)
- Canned Artichoke Hearts (3 per serving)
- Canned Tuna (I use solid packed in water. 1 can yields 3 servings)
- Light Alfredo Sauce
- Minced Garlic (I use the stuff that comes in a jar)
- Optional Walnuts

Thats it.

First drain your Artichokes and Tuna. I hate that canned taste so I'm a little neurotic about draining. I like to drain, rinse, drain and then squeeze out the remaining liquid with a paper towel. It doesn't matter if you fuck it up. Shit's getting chopped up anyways.

Toss a lil' olive oil on your now drained tuna. Give it a little lovin'

Throw pasta in a pot of boiling water and let it get soft and delicious. My favorite pasta is rigatoni but I'm not prejudiced against any carb. Throw whatever noodles you want in there.

While thats boiling, get yourself out a nice saucepan and discover why they're called saucepans.

It's not just because they're fancy.

Heat that shit up. Throw in a lil' minced garlic. When it starts to smell real pretty chuck in your alfredo sauce. I used a little less than the package suggested because I don't like my pasta to be drowning in sauce. But hey, go crazy, do yo' thang.

Then take a quick chop chop to those artichokes. Chuck em in too.

Ditto on the tuna.

Stir it around.

I put some black pepper in it because I was feelin' fancy.

Then I strained my pasta and chucked that in too. Stirred it a bit then I put it in a bowl and devoured it.

As a weird last minute addition I garnished it with a few walnuts and, let me tell you, that shit was fucking delicious.

So even though you use less pasta and sauce then the packages say to your still loading up on the goodness of filling tuna protein and yumyums of artichoke hearts.

Now don't go getting all alarmed. This whole recipe thing probably won't become a usual thing. As soon as I find some trouble to get into I'll be back here to report but for now food it is.

So go out there my little minions and throw some shit in a saucepan and get crazy and eat healthy noms and be healthy and fit so that you can stick around for a long time to watch me further shamblize my life.

VIVA LA SHAMBLUTION.

xxKK

1 comment: